One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The tiny round seed of the poppy plant, used as a topping or in fillings for baked goods.
- ‘There was an airy lemon poppyseed cake and a light dumplingy apple cake, oozing a well - rounded caramel sauce.’
- ‘There was the incident with the lemon and poppyseed muffin in the town centre which almost lead to an appearance on Crimewatch.’
- ‘We all sat in a circle in the grass and tried to eat poppyseed cake with homemade marmalade while thirty chickens and a baby tried to break through all the barricades.’
- ‘I love to write, and I can't stand poppyseed bread.’
- ‘She'd been baking lemon poppyseed muffins, one of Jacob's favorite foods, for the past hour.’
- ‘The cakes (carrot, poppyseed et al) are too worthy.’
- ‘The ripe poppyseeds are not narcotic, and are freely used to sprinkle over bread dough, or as a filling for confections such as cozonac - the traditional yeast cake baked on Good Friday in celebration of the Romanian Orthodox Easter.’
- ‘Walnut oil's properties were intermediate between those of poppyseed and linseed oils.’
- ‘For a sweet ending, a classic sweet fruit-filled dumpling and the famed poppyseed variety are enticing examples of dessert dumplings.’
- ‘They're organic and ‘engineered to be a meal,’ with a baker's dozen of tasty-looking flavors such as lemon poppyseed, banana walnut and the particularly healthy-sounding mocha chocolate chunk.’
- ‘Use dark poppyseeds for the full effect.’
- ‘Eating food containing poppyseeds may result in a positive urine screening test for opiates, since poppyseeds contain naturally-occurring opiates.’
- ‘It could have resulted in the targeting of medical marijuana patients, people who attended a concert and were in close proximity to marijuana smokers, or people who eat poppyseed bagels - each of which could trigger a positive drug test.’
- ‘The muffins are homemade (the low-fat raspberry and the lemon and poppyseed are standouts), and the coffee, especially lattés and cappuccinos, is fabulous.’
- ‘Perhaps my chopped liver sandwich would have been more culturally sound had I made it on a poppyseed bagel from the aforementioned store, but that one had already been accidentally consumed for breakfast.’
- ‘Add mukwa, fried mung dal and poppyseeds and stir to coat with caramel.’
- ‘The most popular kolac contains prune, ground nut, or crushed poppyseed fillings.’
- ‘Is there anyone out there making Hungarian poppyseed cake in Ireland?’
- ‘At the weekend I went hunting for poppyseeds all over the place.’
- ‘We both had a slice or two of some rich poppyseed bread Catriona had just baked, but really, anything more would have left us feeling bloated and sluggish for our drive home.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.