Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The tiny round seed of the poppy plant, used as a topping or in fillings for baked goods.
- ‘They're organic and ‘engineered to be a meal,’ with a baker's dozen of tasty-looking flavors such as lemon poppyseed, banana walnut and the particularly healthy-sounding mocha chocolate chunk.’
- ‘The muffins are homemade (the low-fat raspberry and the lemon and poppyseed are standouts), and the coffee, especially lattés and cappuccinos, is fabulous.’
- ‘For a sweet ending, a classic sweet fruit-filled dumpling and the famed poppyseed variety are enticing examples of dessert dumplings.’
- ‘We both had a slice or two of some rich poppyseed bread Catriona had just baked, but really, anything more would have left us feeling bloated and sluggish for our drive home.’
- ‘She'd been baking lemon poppyseed muffins, one of Jacob's favorite foods, for the past hour.’
- ‘There was an airy lemon poppyseed cake and a light dumplingy apple cake, oozing a well - rounded caramel sauce.’
- ‘The ripe poppyseeds are not narcotic, and are freely used to sprinkle over bread dough, or as a filling for confections such as cozonac - the traditional yeast cake baked on Good Friday in celebration of the Romanian Orthodox Easter.’
- ‘Add mukwa, fried mung dal and poppyseeds and stir to coat with caramel.’
- ‘The most popular kolac contains prune, ground nut, or crushed poppyseed fillings.’
- ‘Walnut oil's properties were intermediate between those of poppyseed and linseed oils.’
- ‘There was the incident with the lemon and poppyseed muffin in the town centre which almost lead to an appearance on Crimewatch.’
- ‘Perhaps my chopped liver sandwich would have been more culturally sound had I made it on a poppyseed bagel from the aforementioned store, but that one had already been accidentally consumed for breakfast.’
- ‘The cakes (carrot, poppyseed et al) are too worthy.’
- ‘Use dark poppyseeds for the full effect.’
- ‘I love to write, and I can't stand poppyseed bread.’
- ‘Eating food containing poppyseeds may result in a positive urine screening test for opiates, since poppyseeds contain naturally-occurring opiates.’
- ‘At the weekend I went hunting for poppyseeds all over the place.’
- ‘It could have resulted in the targeting of medical marijuana patients, people who attended a concert and were in close proximity to marijuana smokers, or people who eat poppyseed bagels - each of which could trigger a positive drug test.’
- ‘Is there anyone out there making Hungarian poppyseed cake in Ireland?’
- ‘We all sat in a circle in the grass and tried to eat poppyseed cake with homemade marmalade while thirty chickens and a baby tried to break through all the barricades.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.