One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Corn of a variety with hard kernels that swell up and burst open with a pop when heated.
- ‘All the recipes I follow tell you to pop the popcorn in a pot with oil and plain popcorn kernels.’
- ‘They popped popcorn and sat on the floor, all of them wrapped up in a blanket together.’
- ‘And believe me when I say I do not have shares in any bakeries or popcorn companies.’
- ‘He got us a couple of drinks, popped some popcorn, and then suggested we go up to his room.’
- ‘The five-star popcorn is free and it pops in a nice machine!’
- 1.1 Corn kernels when popped, typically buttered and salted and eaten as a snack.
- ‘Makalo laughed as she slowly pulled out a box of chocolate covered popcorn.’
- ‘I could smell popcorn, candy floss and dusk in the air, and I was enjoying every moment of it.’
- ‘The movie theater we went to was really cool because at night they sold ice cream instead of popcorn.’
- ‘So grab a bag of popcorn, sit back and enjoy and before you rate please remember that I love you all and that flattery will get you everywhere!’
- ‘He kept saying that he was hungry but didn't get any popcorn or snacks.’
- ‘The big bag of popcorn she bought could serve as hours of TV snacks for her.’
- ‘So much so, I almost ate the entire bag of chocolates as if it were a sack of popcorn.’
- ‘Place popcorn in bowl of food processor fitted with metal blade and process one minute.’
- ‘We bought our usual drink, packet of sweeties, and bag of popcorn to share.’
- ‘We passed around popcorn and candy but when it ran out no one left the TV to get more.’
- ‘An apple with a small helping of peanut butter or even plain popcorn with no butter or salt may fill you up.’
- ‘The air smelled of cotton candy and popcorn, the fresh and tantalizing aromas of childhood.’
- ‘I might as well drown my sorrows in the bag of popcorn, instead of a pint of ice cream.’
- ‘It could be popcorn and chocolates or something a bit stronger on your average night out at the flicks.’
- ‘She wandered into the kitchen, said a brief hello, and began hunting for a bag of popcorn.’
- ‘Caroline shoves empty bags of popcorn and candy wrappers into the bag and sets Cassie off.’
- ‘Good alternatives are sugar-free popcorn, carrot sticks, bagels, cheese and nuts.’
- ‘The snacks included potato chips, white chocolate and unsalted air-popped popcorn.’
- ‘The other big question is: will garlic bread sit alongside popcorn on the menu?’
- ‘Hot dogs and beer are ubiquitous at sporting events, and popcorn and candy are consumed at movie theaters.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.