One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Corn of a variety with hard kernels that swell up and burst open with a pop when heated.
- ‘The five-star popcorn is free and it pops in a nice machine!’
- ‘And believe me when I say I do not have shares in any bakeries or popcorn companies.’
- ‘They popped popcorn and sat on the floor, all of them wrapped up in a blanket together.’
- ‘All the recipes I follow tell you to pop the popcorn in a pot with oil and plain popcorn kernels.’
- ‘He got us a couple of drinks, popped some popcorn, and then suggested we go up to his room.’
- 1.1 Corn kernels when popped, typically buttered and salted and eaten as a snack.
- ‘The movie theater we went to was really cool because at night they sold ice cream instead of popcorn.’
- ‘Place popcorn in bowl of food processor fitted with metal blade and process one minute.’
- ‘I could smell popcorn, candy floss and dusk in the air, and I was enjoying every moment of it.’
- ‘We passed around popcorn and candy but when it ran out no one left the TV to get more.’
- ‘Hot dogs and beer are ubiquitous at sporting events, and popcorn and candy are consumed at movie theaters.’
- ‘Caroline shoves empty bags of popcorn and candy wrappers into the bag and sets Cassie off.’
- ‘Good alternatives are sugar-free popcorn, carrot sticks, bagels, cheese and nuts.’
- ‘He kept saying that he was hungry but didn't get any popcorn or snacks.’
- ‘The other big question is: will garlic bread sit alongside popcorn on the menu?’
- ‘So grab a bag of popcorn, sit back and enjoy and before you rate please remember that I love you all and that flattery will get you everywhere!’
- ‘An apple with a small helping of peanut butter or even plain popcorn with no butter or salt may fill you up.’
- ‘The big bag of popcorn she bought could serve as hours of TV snacks for her.’
- ‘The air smelled of cotton candy and popcorn, the fresh and tantalizing aromas of childhood.’
- ‘So much so, I almost ate the entire bag of chocolates as if it were a sack of popcorn.’
- ‘Makalo laughed as she slowly pulled out a box of chocolate covered popcorn.’
- ‘It could be popcorn and chocolates or something a bit stronger on your average night out at the flicks.’
- ‘The snacks included potato chips, white chocolate and unsalted air-popped popcorn.’
- ‘We bought our usual drink, packet of sweeties, and bag of popcorn to share.’
- ‘I might as well drown my sorrows in the bag of popcorn, instead of a pint of ice cream.’
- ‘She wandered into the kitchen, said a brief hello, and began hunting for a bag of popcorn.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.