One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person having much influence or holding many offices at the same time, especially one perceived as pompously self-important.
- ‘The chophouse has been renowned as a gathering spot for Minnesota's political pooh-bahs since the Great Depression.’
- ‘He's looking awfully good by comparison to the pooh-bahs of the business today.’
- ‘I love the fact that the self-important pooh-bahs at 43rd Street now have to worry that they'll be corrected on a daily basis by a bunch of former nobodies.’
- ‘Our cultural pooh-bahs simply can't bear to admit that the scene they presume to be such a part of is a bastion of mediocrity.’
- ‘But this self-important pooh-bah is more than an ominous senior legal and political figure.’
From the name of a character in W. S. Gilbert's The Mikado (1885).
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.