One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A hairstyle in which the hair is drawn back and tied at the back of the head, causing it to hang down like a pony's tail.
- ‘They work great on my very thick, pretty curly hair for ponytails and sloppy buns.’
- ‘Marc Jacobs and Calvin Klein favored models with loose, low ponytails with that same wrapped finish in their spring collections.’
- ‘Perhaps it's the way they have their hair styled in perfect ponytails, their make-up highlighting their fine features.’
- ‘Her long hazelnut coloured hair was tied back into a ponytail which hung down to her lower back.’
- ‘Both women were currently putting their long hair up into ponytails, to make themselves cooler in the desert heat.’
- ‘I leant back with my black brush in my hand and combed my hair into a high ponytail.’
- ‘Erin shook her head, or as best she could as she was pulling her hair back in a ponytail.’
- ‘While all the other little girls in grammar school had very straight hair worn in cute ponytails, I had to suffer with a frizzy Afro.’
- ‘Other low- and no-maintenance looks include chignons, ponytails or donning a bandanna.’
- ‘They showed up on the runways in all ways, shapes and forms, from chunky plaits and blunt cuts to layered styles with wispy ends and long braided ponytails.’
- ‘Try applying conditioner from the roots to the tips and pull your hair softly into a ponytail at the nape of the neck.’
- ‘I dug my brush out of my bag, put my hair up in a ponytail and wiped off my mascara and eyeliner.’
- ‘Now that he has replaced the ponytail with the crew cut he even looks the part.’
- ‘I ran up the stairs and brushed my hair back into a ponytail, and cleaned my teeth.’
- ‘She'd put her hair up in a ponytail that was quite cute because it was so small.’
- ‘There were maybe only 2 days during the past summer that she hadn't had her hair in a ponytail.’
- ‘This season's hair is either tousled or tailored with a soft wave; think loose ponytails or chignons and a well-trimmed fringe.’
- ‘The car driver was a similar age with short dark hair and one of the rear passengers was a woman with dark hair in a ponytail.’
- ‘He saw his parents walk in followed by a little girl with her brown hair in a ponytail.’
- ‘Avoid styles that cause too much tension with prolonged wear, like tight ponytails and cornrows.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.