One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to or affecting the pons of the brain.
- ‘St. John showed that apneustic breathing caused by rostral pontine lesions disappeared when the animal awoke.’
- ‘The researchers then used a needle to target and deliver Gd-albumin into the pontine region of the brainstem in three healthy adult monkeys.’
- ‘Pathologist Dr Adam Coumbe gave the cause of death as pontine haemorrhage, a bleed in the base of the brain.’
- ‘This is unacceptable for both those tumours with a high doubling time, such as medulloblastoma, and those producing distressing symptoms for which radiotherapy is the most effective palliative measure, such as diffuse pontine glioma.’
- ‘This is important because if asymptomatic chronic hyponatremia is not corrected, the brain system can be damaged irreversibly (centre pontine demyelination).’
Late 19th century: from Latin pons, pont- ‘bridge’ + -ine.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.