One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The largest of the citrus fruits, with a thick yellow skin and bitter pulp which resembles grapefruit in flavor.Also called shaddock
- ‘But for ARS horticulturalist Robert R. Krueger, the genus Citrus includes at least 16 species, with hundreds of distant relatives, including lesser-known, peelable oddities like pummelos, trifoliate oranges, and kumquats.’
- ‘These products include Thai hom mali rice from Buri Ram, salt eggs from Chaiya, ‘pomelos’ from Nakhon Chaisri and ‘mon thong’ durians from Chanthaburi.’
- ‘We bought whole barbecued chickens, corn, biscuits, pomelos and paichons (salted catfish).’
- ‘Melogolds and Oroblancos are different hybrids from pummelo and grapefruit parents.’
- ‘The pomelo, or the ‘Chinese Grapefruit,’ is an uncommon member of the citrus family, distinguished by its sheer size and pale, pear-like appearance, and has the presence of a fat, cross-legged Buddha.’
- ‘Next to them on the street a woman sells fruit from her pickup truck, and the bed overflows with pomelos and papayas.’
- ‘In traditional Chinese medicine, the pulp and juice of the pomelo, which taste sweet with a hint of sourness, are good for the throat, stomach and spleen.’
- ‘We had several dishes and referring to some of my notes from the evening - the pomelo and shrimp salad contrasted the sweetness of the fruit with the sharpness of the chilli beautifully.’
- ‘A farmer shows off his different-colored pomelos growing from out of the same tree.’
- ‘In fact the grapefruit is simply a hybrid between a pomelo and an orange.’
- ‘Other foods children requested after the tour included horned melon, pomelo, vegetable soup, turnip, spinach, soymilk, red cabbage, sweet potato, and tofu.’
- ‘In the fruit basket were nine blood oranges, two huge pomelos, and seven cute little pears.’
- ‘Slightly larger and heavier than its sister ‘Oroblanco’, ‘Melogold’ expresses more of its pummelo than grapefruit heritage.’
- ‘You'll be amazed at the fruit sold from boats; there are two dozen varieties of banana alone, and if you don't know what a starfruit, pomelo or zirzat is, this is your chance to find out - your tastebuds will thank you for it.’
- ‘The city features six fruits - lemon, lychee, banana, longan, pomelo and pineapple - and three flowers - narcissus, camellia and orchid.’
- ‘Thais are renowned for their ability to carve fruit; melons, mandarins, and pomelos, to name just a few, are carved in the shapes of intricate flowers, classic designs, or birds.’
- ‘Alternatively, guests wishing to rejuvenate the skin and refresh the spirit after a day in the sun will want to experience a wonderful milk bath that has been scented by kalamansi lime, fragrant pandan leaves, pomelo and chrysanthemum.’
2The tree that bears the pomelo fruit.
Citrus maxima, family Rutaceae
- ‘Since the plants are not that profitable Im planning to plant some fruit bearing trees like rambutan, durian or pomelo in between crops.’
- ‘After the fall of the Roman Empire the Arabs cultivated and disseminated the bitter orange, pomelo, lime, and sweet orange, between the 12th and 15th centuries.’
Mid 19th century: of unknown origin.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.