One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A Muslim Bulgarian.
- ‘The Muslims of Macedonia consist of Albanians, Turks, Pomaks, Bosnians and Gypsies.’
- ‘These include not only ethnic Macedonians, but Gypsies, Turks, Romanian-speaking Vlachs, indigenous Albanians, and Pomaks: Muslims with Koranic names and traditions, who speak an archaic dialect of Bulgarian.’
- ‘Among the Pomaks and Gypsies, Christian and Islamic beliefs and practices often coexist.’
- ‘A photography master's project on Bulgarian Pomaks - the descendants of Bulgarians forced to convert to Islam during Ottoman Rule brought her here.’
- ‘It expelled almost 300 000 ethnic Turks and Muslim Slavs, known as Pomaks, segregated Roma and subdued all expressions of ethnic diversity.’
- ‘This has fuelled suspicion of Muslims in general especially the Pomaks, who many Bulgarians view as Muslim by choice, rather than by tradition.’
- ‘Nowadays the terms Pomaks and Bulgarian Muslims are used as interchangeable and synonyms, without evaluating the minority group at all.’
- ‘Since that time, the Bulgarian National Assembly has taken measures to restore the Pomaks' civil rights.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.