One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Polyunsaturated fats or fatty acids.
- ‘This ‘iodine number’ or ‘iodine value’ runs from 0 for total saturation to nearly 200 in the edible oils highest in polyunsaturates.’
- ‘Although saturated fats are not the ‘healthiest’ for people, unsaturated fats, especially monounsaturates (such as those found in avocados, olive oil and nuts) and polyunsaturates (found in salmon, flaxseed and other foods) are.’
- ‘What's more, hydrogenated fats - the only ones some children eat - take the place of healthy polyunsaturates, such as omega-3 fatty acids, needed for brain development.’
- ‘Biscuits, buns, cakes and pastries, puddings, and ice cream could be taxed if they raised cholesterol concentrations but exempt if the ratio of polyunsaturates to saturates were more favourable.’
- ‘This bass is synthetic, man-made and stuffed full of polyunsaturates, oxidants and E numbers.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.