Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of an organic compound, especially a fat or oil molecule) containing several double or triple bonds between carbon atoms. Polyunsaturated fats, which are usually of plant origin, are regarded as healthier in the diet than saturated fats.
- ‘You can only get these from polyunsaturated fats and oils, found in high quantities in nuts, fish, avocados, seeds and vegetable oils.’
- ‘Experts say the monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats found largely in nuts have heart protective benefits.’
- ‘We consume three main types of fats in our daily diet - saturated fats, monounsaturated fats and polyunsaturated fats.’
- ‘For example, polyunsaturated fats do much more than lower blood cholesterol levels.’
- ‘Autoxidation of the polyunsaturated fatty acids of flour lipids results in the formation of hydroperoxides, which are powerful oxidising agents.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.