Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A synthetic resin that is a polymer of styrene, used chiefly as lightweight rigid foams and films.
- ‘The process uses a polymer formed through a chemical bonding of polystyrene and polymethyl methacrylate.’
- ‘But polystyrene will soon have a new role in life - supporting thousands of motorists driving over soft ground.’
- ‘This is because polystyrene is a flammable material that gives off a toxic black smoke in the event of a fire.’
- ‘All polystyrene and polyurethanes are combustible regardless of grade.’
- ‘Does anyone, anywhere, know of a use for polystyrene cups with no bottoms?’
- ‘The PVA solution was deposited in polystyrene molds under the force of gravity in a darkened room.’
- ‘As we chat the vast hall fills with some 260 soldiers ready to breakfast on instant coffee from polystyrene cups.’
- ‘It is naturally found in sediments, and adhesion data for glass and polystyrene are available.’
- ‘An assortment of half-empty aluminium trays and polystyrene cups were festering on top of the washing up along with empty lager cans.’
- ‘Extruded polystyrene also has excellent resistance to moisture absorption.’
- ‘The resulting spark can ignite the Pentane vapour liberated from the expanded polystyrene block by the cutting operation.’
- ‘Sitting on concrete piles and a sea of polystyrene that keeps it from sinking into the bog, the track is another triumph in a resurgent era for the Chinese people.’
- ‘In this process, water passes through a media bed, usually sulfonated polystyrene beads.’
- ‘Cycle helmets are made of polystyrene and offer minimal protection.’
- ‘The polystyrene foam is often cut into shapes with chain saws and saber saws.’
- ‘In Asia, rice husks have been used as an organic replacement for polystyrene packaging and in fireproof building materials.’
- ‘The polymer polystyrene contains the phenyl group as part of its repeat unit.’
- ‘Bees were caught by placing transparent polystyrene cups over the nest entrance.’
- ‘We found polystyrene to be the most suitable compound for this purpose.’
- ‘Rumours that proposed production lines feature polystyrene moulds have yet to be disproved…’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.