One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A synthetic resin which is a polymer of styrene, used chiefly as lightweight rigid foams and films.
- ‘The polymer polystyrene contains the phenyl group as part of its repeat unit.’
- ‘Extruded polystyrene also has excellent resistance to moisture absorption.’
- ‘The PVA solution was deposited in polystyrene molds under the force of gravity in a darkened room.’
- ‘The process uses a polymer formed through a chemical bonding of polystyrene and polymethyl methacrylate.’
- ‘This is because polystyrene is a flammable material that gives off a toxic black smoke in the event of a fire.’
- ‘An assortment of half-empty aluminium trays and polystyrene cups were festering on top of the washing up along with empty lager cans.’
- ‘The polystyrene foam is often cut into shapes with chain saws and saber saws.’
- ‘Does anyone, anywhere, know of a use for polystyrene cups with no bottoms?’
- ‘In this process, water passes through a media bed, usually sulfonated polystyrene beads.’
- ‘Bees were caught by placing transparent polystyrene cups over the nest entrance.’
- ‘We found polystyrene to be the most suitable compound for this purpose.’
- ‘All polystyrene and polyurethanes are combustible regardless of grade.’
- ‘Cycle helmets are made of polystyrene and offer minimal protection.’
- ‘In Asia, rice husks have been used as an organic replacement for polystyrene packaging and in fireproof building materials.’
- ‘But polystyrene will soon have a new role in life - supporting thousands of motorists driving over soft ground.’
- ‘Rumours that proposed production lines feature polystyrene moulds have yet to be disproved…’
- ‘It is naturally found in sediments, and adhesion data for glass and polystyrene are available.’
- ‘As we chat the vast hall fills with some 260 soldiers ready to breakfast on instant coffee from polystyrene cups.’
- ‘Sitting on concrete piles and a sea of polystyrene that keeps it from sinking into the bog, the track is another triumph in a resurgent era for the Chinese people.’
- ‘The resulting spark can ignite the Pentane vapour liberated from the expanded polystyrene block by the cutting operation.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.