One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A cluster of ribosomes held together by a strand of messenger RNA that each ribosome is translating.
- ‘The peaks of free 40S and 60S subunits, 80S ribosomes (free couples and monosomes), and polysomes are indicated.’
- ‘Anoxia causes polysomes, translating the aerobic proteins, to dissociate, and anaerobic mRNAs are translated from polysomes with a much lower average size.’
- ‘The rest are nuclear-encoded and are synthesized as precursor proteins on free cytosolic polysomes.’
- ‘This loss of protein synthetic capacity is manifested in a loss of polysomes that result from the run-off of ribosomes from mRNAs coupled with a failure in the initiation machinery.’
- ‘This value was lower than the average amount of mRNA detected in all polysomes (two ribosomes per mRNA) in leaves of arabidopsis and rapidly dividing yeast cells.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.