One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of a group of organisms) derived from more than one common evolutionary ancestor or ancestral group and therefore not suitable for placing in the same taxon.
- ‘The present study, as well as previous molecular studies, suggest that the oegopsid squids represent a polyphyletic group with uncertain phylogenetic affinities.’
- ‘Loriciferans were originally assigned to the paraphyletic or polyphyletic group called Aschelminthes.’
- ‘Later, however, a morphological analysis suggested that the Hardella complex constitutes a polyphyletic group.’
- ‘Over the last two decades, various members of the Coeloscleritophora have been compared to sponges, annelids, mollusks, ascidians, and brachiopods, and the group is likely polyphyletic as other authors have suggested.’
- ‘The taxonomy of the group is not well resolved, with many family-group taxa considered paraphyletic or polyphyletic, and several subfamilies are unplaced at the family level.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.