One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1(of a complex) containing more than one metal atom.
- ‘This method comprises depositing a polynuclear complex comprising a plurality of organic polydentate ligands and a plurality of noble metal atoms on an oxide support, and then removing the organic polydentate ligands.’
- ‘The CO ligand can add to the polynuclear complex in three different ways.’
- 1.1 (of a compound) polycyclic.
- ‘The earliest substances identified, in 1953, were benzo pyrene, and other polynuclear aromatic hydrocarbons, which were known to produce tumours in animal experiments.’
- ‘If possible, avoid using roofs of buildings that rely on wood heat, as the smoke particles and soot deposited on the roof may contain polynuclear aromatic hydrocarbons and other hazardous materials.’
- ‘Poisons left behind under and around Midway Village include benzene, lead, and polynuclear aromatic hydrocarbons, a class of compounds that includes many known carcinogens.’
- ‘The residues were redissolved in DMSO for analysis of polynuclear aromatic compounds and for the mutagenicity test.’
- ‘Residents of Woburn may also have been exposed to polynuclear aromatic hydrocarbons as well as to arsenic and chromium compounds in their drinking water.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.