1(of a complex) containing more than one metal atom.
- ‘This method comprises depositing a polynuclear complex comprising a plurality of organic polydentate ligands and a plurality of noble metal atoms on an oxide support, and then removing the organic polydentate ligands.’
- ‘The CO ligand can add to the polynuclear complex in three different ways.’
- 1.1 (of a compound) polycyclic.
- ‘If possible, avoid using roofs of buildings that rely on wood heat, as the smoke particles and soot deposited on the roof may contain polynuclear aromatic hydrocarbons and other hazardous materials.’
- ‘Residents of Woburn may also have been exposed to polynuclear aromatic hydrocarbons as well as to arsenic and chromium compounds in their drinking water.’
- ‘Poisons left behind under and around Midway Village include benzene, lead, and polynuclear aromatic hydrocarbons, a class of compounds that includes many known carcinogens.’
- ‘The earliest substances identified, in 1953, were benzo pyrene, and other polynuclear aromatic hydrocarbons, which were known to produce tumours in animal experiments.’
- ‘The residues were redissolved in DMSO for analysis of polynuclear aromatic compounds and for the mutagenicity test.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.