Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An enzyme that brings about the formation of a particular polymer, especially DNA or RNA.See also transcriptase
- ‘In contrast to the phage polymerases, RNA polymerases from higher organisms have a much more complex subunit structure than the bacterial enzymes.’
- ‘The presence of the histones and CpG methylation most affect accessibility of the chromatin to RNA polymerases and transcription factors.’
- ‘Replicative DNA polymerases are very accurate enzymes with error rates usually in the range of 10-5 per replicated nucleotide.’
- ‘These complexes regulate the interaction of RNA polymerases and DNA elements within promoters.’
- ‘Promoter sequences promote the ability of RNA polymerases to recognize the nucleotide at which initiation begins.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.