One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The doctrine of polygeny.
- ‘Broca argued that the anthropologists could debate monogenism or polygenism without extraneous preoccupations.’
- ‘In the context of this militant polygenism of 1854-57, the new anthropology professor Quatrefages accepted a version of black perfectibility.’
- ‘Louis Aggasiz, for example, a Harvard biologist and opponent of evolution, was the foremost American expositor of polygenism, the notion that each race was a separate biological species.’
- ‘The tradition of anti-clerical skepticism even allowed geographers like Vivien to cry scientific freedom so polygenism could challenge the religious constraints of a Prichard.’
- ‘The authority of the Scriptures was still great: the case for polygenism, put forward most famously by Henry Home, Lord Kames, met with widespread outrage.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.