One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to or determined by polygenes.
- ‘The most common cause of genetic disorders is multifactorial or polygenic inheritance.’
- ‘The technique is intended to integrate Mendelian transmission genetics, allelic frequency, and penetrance with the patterns of covariance expected in polygenic inheritance.’
- ‘Monogenic and polygenic inheritance of adult resistance under controlled and field conditions has been reported in the literature.’
- ‘In contrast, acoustical communication has been suggested to have a polygenic mode of inheritance.’
- ‘In the Belgian tervuren and sheepdog, epilepsy is highly heritable with a polygenic mode of inheritance, though apparently influenced by a single autosomal recessive locus of large effect.’
1940s: from Greek polugenēs ‘of many kinds’ + -ic.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.