One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A synthetic resin in which the polymer units are linked by ester groups, used chiefly to make synthetic textile fibers.
- ‘As for polyester well there's a non biodegradable petrochemical product I know little about.’
- ‘When spun into a fiber, polyesters are used to produce textiles, yarns, ropes and tire cord.’
- ‘Among the crystalline polymers are polyethylene, polypropylene, nylon, thermoplastic polyesters, acetal, and polyphenylene sulfide.’
- ‘Epoxy resins are actually oligomers, which must be reacted with other polymers such as polyamines, polyamides and polyesters.’
- ‘The equipment they invented removed the water as it was formed, resulting in a high molecular weight polyester.’
- ‘Examples of polymers produced in this way include polyesters, polyamides, polyurethanes, polyethers, and polysulfones.’
- 1.1 A fabric made from polyester fiber.
- ‘However, synthetics like polyester and nylon are naturally hydrophobic, so they repel the water and keep it away from the skin.’
- ‘Better fabrics like wool (trust me, it's cool in hot weather) cost more than polyester.’
- ‘The last few summers the fashion seemed to be polyester or other man-made fabrics and the skirts were quite figure hugging and looked quite appalling on me.’
- ‘You pretty much have two options in neckwear fabrics: silk or polyester.’
- ‘Try to avoid polyester and other man-made fabrics, as they do not allow your skin to breathe.’
- ‘Backpacks are made from either nylon or polyester.’
- ‘Most synthetic fabrics, such as nylon, acrylic or polyester resist ignition.’
- ‘Avoid wrinkles by choosing lightweight knits and woven polyesters such as georgette or similarly textured fabrics that have wash-and-wear, wrinkle-free qualities.’
- ‘She was a simple woman, more comfortable in polyester than silk.’
- ‘You may have noticed that clothing made of polyester can accumulate a considerable charge of static electricity in the winter.’
- ‘You cannot dye a synthetic wedding dress at all, one made of acetate or polyester, which is what most are.’
- ‘The exterior is constructed of weatherproof, washable, heavy-weave polyester.’
- ‘The dress is either polyester or acetate georgette, which cannot be dyed.’
- ‘Readers learned about polyester's resurgence in the world of fashion, how it is made, and whether or not it melts into skin when ignited.’
- ‘Made from a blend of virgin wool, acrylic and polyester, this mock neck jersey will surely yield a perfect fit.’
- ‘How do you think it feels to be Dolce or Gabbana when they walk past a Wal-Mart and see their blood sweat and tears turned into a cheap knock off made of polyester?’
- ‘Serving cheap, low-quality food and beverages to ungrateful men and women wearing polyester is an abomination.’
- ‘Sparked by the retail explosion of such brands as Under Armour and Nike Dri-FIT, perspiration-wicking polyesters and blends are becoming more and more commonplace in the promotional wearables marketplace.’
- ‘If the fabric is polyester, it will not ‘discharge’ or even bleach very well.’
- ‘Decide for yourself whether polyester really is the wonder fabric!’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.