Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A synthetic resin in which the polymer units are linked through carbonate groups, including many molding materials and films.
- ‘Janos Hajito made his discovery by mixing fluorescent dyes with polycarbonate, a transparent polymer.’
- ‘Classes of polymers used in integrated optics include acrylates, polyimides, polycarbonates, and olefins.’
- ‘The polycarbonate trademarked as Lexan is used in ‘bulletproof’ glass and in astronaut's helmets.’
- ‘An array of choices exists for glazing, including glass, vinyl, fiberglass, polycarbonate, acrylic and polyethylene.’
- ‘Clubb says the increases affected all of the plastics lines - polycarbonates, polyethylenes, polypropylenes, copolyesters, and acrylics.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.