One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Chicken (as used in the names of Italian, Spanish, or Mexican dishes)‘pollo andaluza, a sweet dish consisting of boneless chicken sautéed in white wine and butter’
- ‘Tuition by local experts concentrates on the cuisine of Lazio, including dishes such as pollo arrosto (roasted chicken with garlic and rosemary), zucchini al forno (oven-baked courgettes) and ciambellone (lemon sponge).’
- ‘My wife was thrilled to see they did pollo sorpreso, a near-extinct Italian version of chicken Kiev, which was precisely the sort of thing she used to order when her parents took her to places like this.’
- ‘Oodles of olives, tortillas, pescado, pollo and chorizo are required eating in Spain, but no longer constitute novel dining thanks to a growing number of decent tapas bars in Ireland.’
- ‘Main courses are a wonderful blend of cuisine from around India and the world and range from lasagne, pollo pepperonta, Avadhi mutton biryani, gosht di piazza, and achari gosht for non-vegetarians.’
- ‘Another house dish is pollo encebollado, a chicken leg topped with a tangy tomato sauce chock-full of translucent onion slices.’
Spanish and Italian.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.