One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A hollow tube which develops from a pollen grain when deposited on the stigma of a flower. It penetrates the style and conveys the male gametes to the ovule.
- ‘The grain is empty because the body cell and prothallial nuclei have moved out along the pollen tube towards the archegonia.’
- ‘Guidance of the pollen tube down the style involves mechanical, chemical and physical cues that are not yet fully understood.’
- ‘For example, low temperatures near flowering affect ovule development and pollen tube growth.’
- ‘In only one pollination did a pollen tube appear to enter the ovary, but not the ovule.’
- ‘In pre-zygotic mechanisms, the pollen tube may grow as far as the ovule but not penetrate it, or penetration may be achieved without fertilization.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.