Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Each of the microscopic particles, typically single cells, of which pollen is composed. Pollen grains have a tough coat that has a form characteristic of the pollen-producing plant and which can still be recognized in some archaeological deposits.See also palynology
- ‘The pollen grain is the male gametophytic phase of flowering plants.’
- ‘The pollen grain (male gametophyte) is a three-celled structure composed of two generative cells encased within the vegetative cell.’
- ‘The transfer of the pollen grain (male gametophyte) from the stamen to the stigma initiates the processes that can result in fertilization.’
- ‘A pollen grain was considered germinated if pollen tube length was greater than the diameter of the pollen grain.’
- ‘Although this relationship may vary between species, for a particular species it is constant, indicating that the polarity of the pollen grain owes its origin to the topology of microspore tetrad formation.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.