Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Each of the microscopic particles, typically single cells, of which pollen is composed. Pollen grains have a tough coat that has a form characteristic of the pollen-producing plant and which can still be recognized in some archaeological deposits.See also palynology
- ‘The transfer of the pollen grain (male gametophyte) from the stamen to the stigma initiates the processes that can result in fertilization.’
- ‘The pollen grain (male gametophyte) is a three-celled structure composed of two generative cells encased within the vegetative cell.’
- ‘Although this relationship may vary between species, for a particular species it is constant, indicating that the polarity of the pollen grain owes its origin to the topology of microspore tetrad formation.’
- ‘The pollen grain is the male gametophytic phase of flowering plants.’
- ‘A pollen grain was considered germinated if pollen tube length was greater than the diameter of the pollen grain.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.