One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A fine powdery substance, typically yellow, consisting of microscopic grains discharged from the male part of a flower or from a male cone. Each grain contains a male gamete that can fertilize the female ovule, to which pollen is transported by the wind, insects, or other animals.
- ‘This could help relieve pollen limitation caused by insufficient quantity of pollen.’
- ‘Plants produced smaller flowers producing less pollen and with poor germination and tube growth.’
- ‘In addition to seeds, the promoters directed reporter gene expression in pollen and in seed coats.’
- ‘The stigmas were then pollinated with pollen from a flower whose anther had dehisced that day.’
- ‘Native social bees visit only male inflorescences in search of pollen and nectar.’
- ‘Pollen traps also indicate that pollen is shed directly into the air, permitting wind pollination.’
- ‘Potential foods included not only pollinating insects of angiosperm flowers but also the pollens, nectars, fruits, seeds and foliage of angiosperms themselves.’
- ‘Freshly harvested pollen was dusted onto a microscope slide with a brush to which four or five drops of stain were added.’
- ‘I was intrigued with how they gathered pollen and nectar from flowers to make honey.’
- ‘These bees visited flowers in search of pollen, adopting a supine posture as they entered the corolla tube.’
- ‘The production of pollen and seed cones was studied in five branches chosen at random on each individual.’
- ‘Pollinators visit flowers in search of oils, floral fragrances, pollen or floral nectar.’
- ‘Bees occasionally collect olive pollen, but wind is the primary pollination vector.’
- ‘Each experiment was carried out on flower heads which had been protected from foreign pollen by bagging.’
- ‘The egg cell is fertilized by pollen from the male sex organs, the stamens.’
- ‘Females produced more pollen per anther than males, and pollen size was the same in both sexes.’
- ‘This species has a peculiar mechanism by which the flower dispenses pollen to different visitors.’
- ‘It is a beautiful white lily flower with big buds of pollen in its centre.’
- ‘What, then, are the roles of the two different flower types in pollen production?’
- ‘Most is caused by grass pollen, but tree pollen can also cause reactions.’
Mid 18th century: from Latin, literally ‘fine powder’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.