Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Finish or consume something quickly.‘they polished off most of the sausages’
eat up, finish, consume, devour, eat greedily, guzzle, feast on, binge-eat, wolf down, down, boltcomplete, finish, deal with, wrap up, accomplish, execute, discharge, do, get done, fulfil, achieve, attain, end, conclude, close, bring to a close, bring to a conclusion, bring to a end, finalize, stop, cease, terminate, round off, wind upView synonyms
- ‘I remember everyone drunkenly singing along to the chorus as the grizzly old bar manager brought up a half empty keg for us to polish off.’
- ‘I remember polishing off my rusks, knocking back my baby milk and jumping down from my high chair to assist.’
- ‘Both were polished off quickly and when the bill came for the food (drinks are paid for separately), it was only £11.’
- ‘So Antoine polishes off his first drink, calls her on his cell, and listens to her repeat she's coming, she's coming.’
- ‘Squid rings and the latter were the choices to start, and were polished off really quickly, despite there being only five of us.’
- ‘He tried as best as he could to ignore her glance as he swallowed and polished off his scramble eggs in record time.’
- ‘Those, along with the bread and cheeses, were quickly polished off.’
- ‘The mussels were huge and plentiful, and I gladly helped my wife finish off the plate after having polished off my own dish.’
- ‘Desserts of chocolate cake and hyper-decadent peach meringue sundae were quickly polished off, followed a fine selection of Isle of Mull cheeses and coffee.’
- ‘At one diplomatic dinner in the mid-1990s, British officials watched in fascination as he consumed vast quantities of food, polishing off course after course with greedy relish.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.