One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A member of a police force.
- ‘The threat of litigation against a police force would not make a policeman more efficient.’
- ‘As one of the policemen informed our reporter, those were students of one famous institute.’
- ‘Six other soldiers and paramilitary policemen were killed in rebel attacks on their patrols.’
- ‘There was an undercover policeman by the side of our coach given away by the large pistol in a holster by his side.’
- ‘They even attacked the policemen that were driving to the other police stations to try and help fend them off.’
- ‘The policeman tried to handcuff him but the boy kept pushing him away, so he called for backup.’
- ‘It is one of the busiest junctions where policemen dread to man traffic during peak hours.’
- ‘The report quaintly states that he pushed gently past the policeman and was gently arrested.’
- ‘They were removed from the room and handcuffed by additional policemen outside.’
- ‘The teenager managed to make his way outside and informed two policemen on patrol of what had happened.’
- ‘Five of the policemen named in the programme were with Greater Manchester Police.’
- ‘If you want a policeman at the moment you have to phone Sorbaig Police Station.’
- ‘I watched as a policeman seized a teenage girl by the arms, her legs buckling from gas and shock.’
- ‘Later police academies would borrow this system to train policemen with target shooting.’
- ‘The two police cars were blocking in a grey car and the policemen were talking to a man inside the car.’
- ‘We went straight to the local police-station where we were met by a young policeman.’
- ‘I collected another broad grin from two policemen patrolling in Williton this morning.’
- ‘I await the knock upon the door and a brace of burly policemen with handcuffs.’
- ‘The policemen at the station threw her out as well, and also snatched the bedsheet away.’
- ‘What they want is policemen in pointy helmets patrolling very old walls in the drizzle.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.