One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The office or headquarters of a local police force.
- ‘From police stations to schools to ministries and other government agencies, the story is the same.’
- ‘The call centres are linked to local hospitals, police stations, and municipalities.’
- ‘Weather-related injuries were being reported by scores of hospitals and police stations well into the night.’
- ‘The problems have affected callers trying to contact police stations and the force headquarters in Edinburgh.’
- ‘A crossbow, rifles, swords and bayonets were some of the items collected at police stations across the region.’
- ‘However, the police are active only in urban communities and the few villages with police stations.’
- ‘Some of our streets are in a dangerous state of repair, our local police stations are fast disappearing, crime is at a very high level.’
- ‘Even with police stations in central areas it was not uncommon for an officer to be isolated.’
- ‘Local police stations are being closed and people complain that beat bobbies have all but disappeared from our streets.’
- ‘There were sporadic attacks on police stations, where policemen were disarmed.’
- ‘But the move is unlikely to see the full restoration of local police stations.’
- ‘The men, all white Europeans, had not been charged last night, and were being held in police stations in Sheffield.’
- ‘One of the things the commissioner promised when he got into office was that he would not close local police stations.’
- ‘Thousands of people have sought refuge in army bases and police stations.’
- ‘In common with some of his co-stars, Darren got a feel for his role by paying a visit to one of Newcastle's police stations.’
- ‘In Bolton, 10 firearms and 30 rounds of ammunition have been taken to police stations.’
- ‘Advocates can also accompany survivors at the local hospitals or police stations.’
- ‘At this point, presumably, pictures of your face are starting to appear on the walls of police stations all over Sweden.’
- ‘Crime prevention literature is available from local police stations.’
- ‘These officers, who visit schools either every day or two or three days a week, are mostly based in local police stations.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.