One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A mass of iron forming the end of an electromagnet, through which the lines of magnetic force are concentrated and directed.
- ‘The magnetic rotational position sensor includes a magnetic circuit formed by a peripherally interrupted outer pole piece defining an air gap and a magnet disposed within the air gap to generate a magnetic field.’
- ‘In MBFA, a cell surface-attached magnetic bead is subjected to a high gradient magnetic field generated by the sharpened pole piece of an electromagnet.’
- ‘We think we might have to further adjust the shape of the pole pieces.’
- ‘A system of six vertical electromagnets with their pole pieces arranged in a hexagonal pattern is placed just above the capillary tube.’
- ‘When possible, the current in the electromagnet coil was reduced to zero at the end of the experiment so that the bead and induced neurite would only experience force due to the remanent magnetization of the pole piece.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.