One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A photographic or optical filter that polarizes the light passing through it, used chiefly for reducing reflections and improving contrast. Two polarizing filters are often used together, such that rotation of one of them results in a neutral density filter of variable density.
- ‘Using 35-millimeter film, the camera produced high quality pairs of images that could be viewed in hand-held illuminated stereoscopes or projected using polarizing filters.’
- ‘If equipped with polarizing filters, these microscopes can also facilitate the identification of fibers, pigments, and particles.’
- ‘After a gentle rain, when the colors are intensely saturated, you can use a polarizing filter to remove surface reflections for even richer color, as well as to deepen the blue of a clearing sky.’
- ‘A polarizing filter will help you remove surface reflections and see deeper into the pools.’
- ‘A UV or strong skylight filter will absorb some of this excess, but a polarizing filter is perhaps the most effective tool.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.