Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Each of the small cells that bud off from an oocyte at the two meiotic divisions and do not develop into ova.
- ‘In addition, the polar bodies contained condensed chromosomes with a normal rosette arrangement.’
- ‘The implication of this suggestion is a chromosome segregation effect in which meiotic nondisjunction would more likely result in the retention of an additional chromosome in the oocyte than in the polar body.’
- ‘At this time, the primary oocyte's first meiotic division occurs, resulting in the formation of the first polar body and the secondary oocyte.’
- ‘The three other products of female meiosis, the polar bodies, arrest in a metaphase state and associate with radiating arrays of microtubules.’
- ‘In most multicellular organisms, each of the two meiotic divisions in females results in an oocyte and a polar body, each of which has a distinct morphology and developmental fate.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.