Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A large white arctic bear that lives mainly on the pack ice. It is a powerful swimmer and feeds chiefly on seals.
- ‘The Inuit were cutting up a walrus and packing the meat when a polar bear just showed up from nowhere.’
- ‘Aside from sealers, their principal predators are Greenland sharks, killer whales, and polar bears.’
- ‘This spells bad news not only for Arctic peoples but for species like the polar bear, which hunts seals on the sea ice.’
- ‘A hundred other wildlife species, from polar bears to Arctic foxes, also rely on this unique wild jewel.’
- ‘I'd been meaning to write a piece on it for years, ever since I read that someone had made a panda out of a black bear and a polar bear.’
- ‘Along the way, there are little patches of rock, not even islands, more like mudflats, where there are birds, walruses and seals, and polar bears.’
- ‘That's how, years later, I ended up living side by side on this island with polar bears and walruses.’
- ‘One of the earth's largest and most powerful carnivores, the polar bear is found in all the world's arctic seas and coastal lines.’
- ‘If you doubt that, consider which bear will live more effectively if transported to the tropics - a polar bear or a black bear.’
- ‘Prowling the ice pack, a polar bear hunts for seals during summer's thaw, or take advantage of the open water to seek food.’
- ‘I flew over gigantic glaciers and stood on the frozen Arctic Ocean where polar bears walk in search of seal holes, and patiently wait for a meal.’
- ‘Come face to face with polar bears, walruses, harbour seals and beluga whales.’
- ‘Given the large size of even subadult and young walrus, it is likely that only adult male polar bears would be able to exploit walrus as prey.’
- ‘The largest are the carnivorous polar bear, and arctic wolf and the herbivourous barren-land caribou and muskox.’
- ‘There are also caribou, wolves, walruses, polar bears and beluga whales.’
- ‘Multiple bear species, including polar bears and grizzlies, have been crossbred in zoos.’
- ‘Aside from humans, their principal enemies are the polar bear and killer whale.’
- ‘The tusks also aid in hauling out on slippery ice-floes and can be used as weapons against polar bears and killer whales and for killing seals.’
- ‘Along the way passengers were treated to a daily dose of Arctic wildlife, including polar bears, whales and walrus.’
- ‘Big predator species such as the polar bear and wolf signify the biological health of the Arctic ecosystem.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.