One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large white arctic bear which lives mainly on the pack ice. It is a powerful swimmer and feeds chiefly on seals.
- ‘Come face to face with polar bears, walruses, harbour seals and beluga whales.’
- ‘One of the earth's largest and most powerful carnivores, the polar bear is found in all the world's arctic seas and coastal lines.’
- ‘Aside from humans, their principal enemies are the polar bear and killer whale.’
- ‘If you doubt that, consider which bear will live more effectively if transported to the tropics - a polar bear or a black bear.’
- ‘Prowling the ice pack, a polar bear hunts for seals during summer's thaw, or take advantage of the open water to seek food.’
- ‘That's how, years later, I ended up living side by side on this island with polar bears and walruses.’
- ‘Aside from sealers, their principal predators are Greenland sharks, killer whales, and polar bears.’
- ‘A hundred other wildlife species, from polar bears to Arctic foxes, also rely on this unique wild jewel.’
- ‘I flew over gigantic glaciers and stood on the frozen Arctic Ocean where polar bears walk in search of seal holes, and patiently wait for a meal.’
- ‘This spells bad news not only for Arctic peoples but for species like the polar bear, which hunts seals on the sea ice.’
- ‘Along the way passengers were treated to a daily dose of Arctic wildlife, including polar bears, whales and walrus.’
- ‘Big predator species such as the polar bear and wolf signify the biological health of the Arctic ecosystem.’
- ‘Along the way, there are little patches of rock, not even islands, more like mudflats, where there are birds, walruses and seals, and polar bears.’
- ‘Given the large size of even subadult and young walrus, it is likely that only adult male polar bears would be able to exploit walrus as prey.’
- ‘The Inuit were cutting up a walrus and packing the meat when a polar bear just showed up from nowhere.’
- ‘The tusks also aid in hauling out on slippery ice-floes and can be used as weapons against polar bears and killer whales and for killing seals.’
- ‘The largest are the carnivorous polar bear, and arctic wolf and the herbivourous barren-land caribou and muskox.’
- ‘There are also caribou, wolves, walruses, polar bears and beluga whales.’
- ‘Multiple bear species, including polar bears and grizzlies, have been crossbred in zoos.’
- ‘I'd been meaning to write a piece on it for years, ever since I read that someone had made a panda out of a black bear and a polar bear.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.