One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The ratio of the proportional decrease in a lateral measurement to the proportional increase in length in a sample of material that is elastically stretched.
- ‘It will observed that the natural period is a function of the aspect ratio r and the Poisson's ratio, n.’
- ‘Most strain models assume ideal incompressible materials with a Poisson's ratio of 0.5.’
- ‘A linear statics analysis, for example, will require an elastic modulus, Poisson's ratio and perhaps a density for each material.’
- ‘The matrix was assigned a Poisson's ratio of v = 0.49, as were the cells in simulations requiring this.’
- ‘The parameters investigated are the ratio of shear modulus, ratio of shear wave velocity, the thickness of the top layer, material damping ratio and Poisson's ratio.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.