One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A tactic used by a company threatened with an unwelcome takeover bid to make itself unattractive to the bidder.as modifier ‘poison-pill defenses’
- ‘Oracle has said it will not go forth with the takeover with the poison pill in place.’
- ‘The next time you read a news release that says that your company is using a poison pill to ward off a takeover attempt, you'll now know what it means.’
- ‘If allowed to continue pursuing the acquisition, the first step is to get the poison pill removed.’
- ‘Whenever a board adopts a poison pill, it sets a ‘trigger,’ a percentage of stock that an acquirer must buy before the poison pill goes into effect.’
- ‘At heavy-duty truck producer Navistar International in Warrenvilie, Ill., for example, a resolution to rescind the poison pill was supported by 83 percent of the quorum.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.