One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A movable stub embedded in a laptop keyboard that is manipulated to move the screen cursor.
- ‘It comes with both a touchpad and a pointing stick, a combination DVD and CD-RW drive, and both wired and wireless connectivity.’
- ‘Unlike the larger new ThinkPad models, it comes only with the traditional pointing stick, but I don't find the lack of a touchpad any loss.’
- ‘It features the same kind of built-in pointing stick on laptop computer keyboards and the same ‘tactile click’ keys on classic IBM keyboards.’
- ‘The choice of pointing device - be it a touchpad, rollerball or pointing stick - is likewise a matter of personal taste.’
- ‘With such a small keyboard, the pointing stick has been moved to sit between the mouse buttons, which makes using them both a two-fingered operation and fiddly at best.’
- ‘A pointing stick on the left moves the cursor, and two buttons on the same side simulate the left and right mouse buttons.’
- ‘The Dell and HP models come with a pointing stick and a touch pad, while the IBM has just the TrackPoint stick.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.