One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any of a class of cruisers with large-caliber guns, operated by the German navy in World War II.
- ‘Though outgunned by the German's heavy weapons, task force leader Cdre Henry Harwood engaged Graf Spee - at great cost to all three British vessels, which were badly damaged by the pocket battleship's 11 in main turrets.’
- ‘To the delight of many, the pocket battleship stayed on to share a few beers with the lads at the bar.’
- ‘The side are captained by 5ft 3ins pocket battleship Hudson, who made the headlines nation-wide after winning her first boxing bout in the University's annual tournament with Sandhurst.’
- ‘To get round the restrictions of Versailles, Germany produced pocket battleships.’
- ‘The real Jervis Bay was sunk while defending a convoy against a pocket battleship.’
- ‘The ball rolled back to Beall just six yards out, but the pocket battleship took an age to bite the cherry for a second time and was crowded out before getting a shot in.’
- ‘As South Africa's pocket battleship said, that philosophy applied equally well in sport as in life.’
- ‘Attempting a night landing on the Rio del Plata near Montevideo, the aircraft crashed and sank near the wreck of the German pocket battleship Graf Spee.’
- ‘West Indies can at least look forward to a more spirited performance in the field, now that their pocket battleships have been reunited for the first time since the tour of England last summer.’
- ‘It is interesting to me that the profile of a WWII German pocket battleship should resemble a British Type 45 next generation missile destroyer.’
pocket battleship/ˈˌpäkət ˈbadlˌSHip/
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.