One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Lung inflammation caused by bacterial or viral infection, in which the air sacs fill with pus and may become solid. Inflammation may affect both lungs (double pneumonia), one lung (single pneumonia), or only certain lobes (lobar pneumonia).
- ‘But he died after contracting a chest infection which turned into pneumonia.’
- ‘Pregnant women who get chickenpox or shingles have a higher than normal risk of developing pneumonia.’
- ‘Secondary infections such as pneumonia are the main causes of death from malnutrition.’
- ‘The symptoms of bird flu in people vary from typical flu symptoms to eye infections and pneumonia.’
- ‘The most common type of pneumonia is bronchopneumonia, which affects the bronchioles.’
- ‘It is quite possible that she would have died had she developed an infection such as pneumonia.’
- ‘The Doctors said I had whooping cough and pneumonia and that I would have to stay in hospital for the next few months.’
- ‘There are immunisations for several of the infections that can cause pneumonia.’
- ‘Smoking cessation also reduces the risk of death after a stroke and of death from pneumonia and influenza.’
- ‘After initial improvement she developed pneumonia and died 17 days after admission.’
- ‘Doctors originally concluded she died from pneumonia and heart disease.’
- ‘I heard a few weeks ago that Claire had pneumonia and was in hospital.’
- ‘He had been suffering from throat cancer and had recently been battling pneumonia.’
- ‘The cold developed into pneumonia, which turned out to be a symptom of leukaemia.’
- ‘His family was informed he was suffering from pneumonia caused by fluid in his lungs.’
- ‘He then fell ill with pneumonia and died after a lung collapsed and he suffered kidney failure.’
- ‘Zinc supplementation reduces the incidence of diarrhoea and pneumonia and improves growth.’
- ‘Avian influenza begins as a respiratory infection and can develop into pneumonia that is often fatal.’
- ‘The bacteria, which can cause a serious form of pneumonia were found after a routine inspection.’
- ‘The commonest infection is a type of pneumonia, a serious lung infection.’
Early 17th century: via Latin from Greek, from pneumōn ‘lung’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.