A parasitic protozoan that can cause fatal pneumonia in people affected with immunodeficiency disease.
- ‘Moreover, providing treatment to prevent vertical transmission of HIV could save the NHS money - for example, by preventing the need for emergency care of an unnecessarily HIV infected infant with pneumocystis pneumonia.’
- ‘He confirms that the photographer was HIV-positive but noted that the pneumonia was not pneumocystis pneumonia, the type usually associated with HIV.’
- ‘I had lost a very close friend in 1982, one of the very first victims of [AIDS-related] pneumocystis.’
- ‘She would also be encouraged to begin prophylaxis for pneumocystis carinii pneumonia with Bactrim.’
- ‘He is being treated for pneumocystis carinii pneumonia.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.