Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A disease of the lungs due to inhalation of dust, characterized by inflammation, coughing, and fibrosis.
- ‘The breathing of coal and rock dust causes black lung, the common name given to the lung diseases pneumoconiosis and silicosis.’
- ‘The 77 year old recipient was bed bound with severe emphysema and pneumoconiosis.’
- ‘Among individuals with certified occupational exposures to asbestos in the United States, 20% die of pneumoconiosis.’
- ‘Moreover, pneumoconiosis may progress after miners retire.’
- ‘Miners diagnosed with pneumoconiosis were informed of their condition, but, for socioeconomic reasons, they were not requested to leave their jobs.’
Late 19th century: from pneumo- relating to the lungs + Greek konis dust + -osis.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.