One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
treated as singular The branch of physics or technology concerned with the mechanical properties of gases.
- ‘His works look like lecture notes from courses he must have given there on mathematics, physics, pneumatics, and mechanics.’
- ‘Air filtration systems, compressors and some engines use pneumatics to generate energy.’
- ‘In these he described the fundamentals of hydraulics, pneumatics and mechanics as well as countless other applications, including coin operated drinking fountains, self-trimming lanterns, and temple doors opened by lighting a fire.’
- ‘Developing this vehicle to meet the clients’ needs involved specialised computer technology, electrics, electronics, hydraulics and pneumatics.’
- ‘He committed himself not only to electricity but also to meteorology, pneumatics and thermology.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.