One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The formation of intrusive igneous rock by solidification of magma beneath the earth's surface.
- ‘During the mid-Cretaceous a phase of plutonism in Palmer Land caused uplift and erosion that supplied sediment from the arc.’
- ‘During Early Cretaceous times, there was a significant period of plutonism and crustal growth in the magmatic arc.’
- ‘The coincidence in timing of plutonism and extension along the Zuccale fault superficially suggests that thermal weakening could play a part in facilitating low-angle fault movement as proposed for the Capanne fault.’
- 1.1Plutonismhistorical The theory (now accepted) that rocks such as granite were formed by solidification from the molten state, as proposed by Scottish geologist James Hutton and others, rather than by precipitation from the sea.Compare with Neptunism
- ‘Neptunism was eventually supplanted by ‘Plutonism’, the belief that the rocks and continents came about through the outwelling of volcanic material (larva, which hardened into volcanic rock).’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.