One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to or denoting igneous rock formed by solidification at considerable depth beneath the earth's surface.
- ‘Nine samples of plutonic rocks were selected for dating.’
- ‘The magmatic fabric of a plutonic rock forms during a relatively short time interval, after ascent and before final crystallization of magma.’
- ‘The Median Tectonic Zone, which separates the Western and Eastern Provinces, is a narrow belt of Late Palaeozoic and Mesozoic plutonic rocks with minor volcanic and metasedimentary units.’
- ‘The presence of plutonic rocks here suggests that these regions too have been highly extended.’
- ‘However, Lower Cretaceous plutonic rocks have not been found in outcrop.’
2Relating to the underworld or the god Pluto.
of hell, hellish, lower, nether, subterranean, underworldView synonyms
- ‘Many Plutonic or Scorpionic types achieve, or are born into, positions of great status that require enormous powers of endurance, acting as key figures in the development and growth of society.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.