Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Relating to or denoting igneous rock formed by solidification at considerable depth beneath the earth's surface.
- ‘The presence of plutonic rocks here suggests that these regions too have been highly extended.’
- ‘The Median Tectonic Zone, which separates the Western and Eastern Provinces, is a narrow belt of Late Palaeozoic and Mesozoic plutonic rocks with minor volcanic and metasedimentary units.’
- ‘The magmatic fabric of a plutonic rock forms during a relatively short time interval, after ascent and before final crystallization of magma.’
- ‘Nine samples of plutonic rocks were selected for dating.’
- ‘However, Lower Cretaceous plutonic rocks have not been found in outcrop.’
2Relating to the underworld or the god Pluto.
of hell, hellish, lower, nether, subterranean, underworldView synonyms
- ‘Many Plutonic or Scorpionic types achieve, or are born into, positions of great status that require enormous powers of endurance, acting as key figures in the development and growth of society.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.