One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A deep basin excavated at the foot of a waterfall by the action of the falling water.
- ‘For almost two decades, the Tarahumara frog has been absent from the southern Arizona canyons and deep plunge pools to which it had adapted over millennia.’
- ‘Spectacular waterfalls tumble into convenient plunge pools for the refreshment of weary walkers.’
- ‘Then packed back into our jeeps we were driven off to a swimming hole, a small but wonderful little plunge pool held back by a natural damn of gravel and fed by two trickling water falls.’
- ‘The river gorge is a sequence of huge, boulder-choked plunge pools than run only with dust.’
- ‘Enjoy the splendor of red slickrock sculpted into magnificent canyons with arches, plunge pools, and hanging gardens.’
- ‘It reminded Callan of a booming waterfall as it crashes into the plunge pool below.’
2A small, deep swimming pool, typically one filled with cold water and used to refresh or invigorate the body after a sauna.
swimming pool, baths, lido, piscinaView synonyms
- ‘One of the public baths at Pompeii contains two tepidariums and caldariums along with a plunge pool and a large exercise area.’
- ‘Up early for breakfast, then back to the room where we had our own balcony which led, via a spiral staircase, to our own private roof terrace with plunge pool.’
- ‘There are also two suites, with private plunge pools.’
- ‘The house is decorated with tiled, beamed ceilings and antique furniture, and has a large roof terrace, a plunge pool and a herb garden.’
- ‘What's more, as I took my walk of shame, naked women started leaping from saunas into icy plunge pools.’
- ‘The hotel has an outdoor swimming pool and an indoor plunge pool, and there's also a small fitness centre with a sauna and steam bath, and services on offer range from massage and aromatherapy to hairdressing.’
- ‘The property has direct access to the beach as well as a plunge pool, and is being sold fully furnished.’
- ‘It all adds up to a spa experience involving several steam rooms, saunas, plunge pools and foot baths, plus a range of innovative treatments.’
- ‘There were endless corridors, with doors leading to private cabins, and the occasional public space, such as a plunge pool.’
- ‘Now there is a building with a proper plunge pool, and if you are crazy enough you can leap in on New Years Day.’
- ‘It has its own plunge pool as well as a private 60 foot berth.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.