One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Able to be connected by means of a plug.‘a plug-in telephone’
- ‘A few years ago I remember seeing advertisements for plug-in household ionisers that freshen the air and make you feel more wide awake.’
- ‘A plug-in wiring connector will be attached to the back socket.’
- ‘Remove plug-in appliances from the bathroom to avoid the risk of electric shock, and set the temperature on the water heater no higher than 120 F to prevent burns.’
- ‘It is a plug-in burglar alarm that connects instantly to any electrical socket outlet.’
- ‘Nowadays, I leave Britain armed with insect repellant of the plug-in type, plus spray, plus personal roll-on repellant.’
- ‘With no plug-in entertainment apart from the radio, it is nothing short of wonderful.’
- ‘The lawnbeater is one of those plug-in kinds, so I get the grass down in largeish arcs around the electrical outlets - I have a lot of extension cords.’
- ‘A simple plug-in diffuser that disperses a dog appeasing pheromone into the room is available at some veterinary practices.’
- 1.1Computing (of a module or software) able to be added to a system to give extra features or functions.‘a plug-in graphics card’
- ‘Other handsets will presumably be supported through plug-in modems.’
- ‘Then, within your company or industry group, you can buy the operating system and the plug-in tools that you need, and adapt them to your works.’
- ‘A USB (Universal Serial Bus) is a type of plug-in connection which connects electronic devices to computers.’
- ‘The keyboard consists of a base, plus various keyboard plug-in modules that can be tailored to specific functions.’
- ‘We envision a basic application that provides a framework for Internet telephony using plug-in modules to accomplish the various tasks to be performed.’
A plug-in module or plug-in software.
- ‘A creative mind can do miracles with the plug-in, as the software is able to clone objects and adjust them to the new background in such a way, that they get an artistic effect.’
- ‘First off, the user has to invest a good amount of time to download the plug-ins and the software necessary to view the on-line projects.’
- ‘No additional software or plug-ins are required.’
- ‘It took me a while to realise that this was referring to a plug-in you need to view the site, and not their advice to you before entering the restaurant.’
- ‘An additional feature is that sites can be built in most foreign languages without additional software or plug-ins.’
2Canadian An electric outlet for plugging in the block heater of a vehicle in order to keep the engine warm.
- ‘But plug-in hybrids do have a gasoline tank for the long trips.’
- ‘Unlike a full-electric vehicle, the hybrid's battery is self-contained and recharges while tapping the brakes, thus requiring no plug-in.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.