One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Plow grass or other material into the soil to enrich it.
- ‘In 1933 alone, $100 million was paid out to cotton farmers to plough their crop back into the ground!’
- ‘A worrying factor will be the availability of straw this autumn as balers cannot get on to land and farmers may be forced to chop and plough it back.’
- ‘Many cereal growers instead of baling straw chopped it up and ploughed it in as prices were poor.’
- ‘Once the work is done, the mulch can be plowed in and grass can be planted.’
- 1.1 Invest money in a business or reinvest profits in the enterprise producing them.‘savings made through greater efficiency will be plowed back into the service’
invest in, put money into, sink money into, lay out money onView synonyms
- ‘Of course, a proportion of those savings were ploughed back into the sport through the Dive Aid Foundation.’
- ‘Market revenues are ploughed back into the market-strong areas or used to augment the corporate side of university operations.’
- ‘Camelot, which has ploughed thousands in lottery profits into the four in which Pinsent and Cracknell will now row, may have stumbled on a bonanza of big-screen proportions.’
- ‘She has been using a sports psychologist and almost all her prize money has been ploughed back into helping her career.’
- ‘If we fail to raise enough and they can't find a suitable private finance partner, no doubt we'll lose that money too and it will be ploughed in to pay for someone else's hospital.’
- ‘Monetary prizes have been ploughed back into the schools and their projects.’
- ‘Under Home Office rules police could only plough back fines into road safety improvements if offenders were caught on cameras.’
- ‘Should the cut materialize, he said, he would plough the savings back into his company to buy new equipment and hire 30 additional employees.’
- ‘Both were working and ploughing their earnings back into the home and into comforts for their only child.’
- ‘In Yellowstone, we turned a large number of campground operations over to a concessionaire and plowed the income back into campground facilities.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.