One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A short-billed gregarious wading bird, typically found by water but sometimes frequenting grassland, tundra, and mountains.
Family "Charadriidae" (the plover family): several genera and numerous species, especially the ringed plovers ("Charadrius"), golden plovers ("Pluvialis"), and lapwings ("Vanellus")
- ‘But managing the moors for the grouse also preserves them for the plovers and Merlin.’
- ‘These plovers are found mostly on the outer coast.’
- ‘The Semipalmated Plover is a small plover with a short bill and yellow-orange legs.’
- ‘Sandpipers and plovers of many species will pass through or decide to stay in the ponds and wetlands that dot central and southern Iraq.’
- ‘Currently, visitors to the flats are likely to see sandpipers, avocets, oystercatchers, godwits, dowitchers, plovers and other shorebirds on their way south.’
- ‘Along the perimeter I saw an unusual number of crested larks and a few red-wattled plovers in a recently flooded field.’
- ‘In Scotland, gamekeepers blame the buzzard, a protected bird, for the deaths of thousands of partridges, pheasants, and waders such as curlews and plovers.’
- ‘However, to keep these teeth pearly white, the crocodiles employ the services of spur winged plovers that pick the pieces of meat left between the crocodile's teeth after a large meal.’
- ‘When we arrived, it was past the peak of the fall shorebird migration, but there were still hundreds of sandpipers and plovers resting and feeding.’
- ‘In the mud flats of the Bay of Fundy, you'll see large roosts of shorebirds - plovers, yellowlegs, godwits, curlews, and phalaropes - at high tide.’
- ‘When returning to Breydon shortly after high water, the great flights of plovers often arrive at a considerable height.’
- ‘Among some ground-nesting waterbirds, such as gulls and plovers, research has shown that speckling aids egg camouflage.’
- ‘Beginning in 1988, to the chagrin of many locals, the refuge closed down two and a half miles of prime beach during the spring and summer to protect the plovers during their breeding season.’
- ‘Like other plovers, Black-bellied plovers are visual feeders, but they may also probe for hidden prey.’
- ‘At the second pond I found a magpie hopping around near the water, some red-wattled plovers in the field, and a few Dead Sea Sparrows carrying nesting material.’
- ‘The swallow may fly south with the sun or the house martin or the plover may seek warmer climes in winter, yet these are not strangers to our land?’
Middle English: from Anglo-Norman French, based on Latin pluvia ‘rain’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.