One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Pincers with parallel, flat, and typically serrated surfaces, used chiefly for gripping small objects or bending wire.‘a pair of pliers’
- ‘Using round-nose pliers, unbend the wire handle ends inside the box and feed on large beads with large holes.’
- ‘Picking up a pair of discarded pliers he snipped two wires and replaced some of the others.’
- ‘And I have a pair of pliers with screwdriver and knife attached.’
- ‘For three years I've been bleeding our radiators by using a set of longnose pliers to grip the screw-end.’
- ‘Now replace the wire loop on the back of the pliers and pull the wire across the top of the bottom wire to form a right angle.’
- ‘Anyone who has struggled with screwdrivers and needle nose pliers, will be happy with the mechanism here.’
- ‘With pliers, bend the wire ends back into the button so they won't snag the garment fabric.’
- ‘You'll need either needle-nose pliers or large tweezers with flat ends that meet tightly.’
- ‘Right next to his corpse, electric wires, clippers, pliers, and screwdrivers lie strewn across the sidewalk.’
- ‘These pliers trim wire which you'll need to do if you install switches or rewire a lamp.’
- ‘Place the blade in a vice when possible or use a second pair of pliers or vice grips to hold the blade while you turn the barrel.’
- ‘The metal slips a little, but locks in the double knot at crooks he's bent with the pliers.’
- ‘I always take some wire crimps and crimping pliers and a few swivels.’
- ‘If you won't take a multi-tool, at least take a pair of needle-nose pliers and a screwdriver of each denomination!’
- ‘For the bolt turns, use vise grips or pliers to hold the bolt below the nut, to unscrew the nut.’
- ‘The tools used are easily available: pliers, wire cutters, a file and a small mallet.’
- ‘Merely push the pins down and use a pair of needle nose pliers to push the pin out.’
- ‘The array of pincers, pliers, and other stuff required to sink the teeth into a crab or lobster is enough to scare most people away.’
- ‘He called for some pliers, disconnected the wire, and removed the fairing.’
- ‘The stripper is simply a small hand tool that resembles a pair of cutting pliers.’
Mid 16th century: from dialect ply ‘bend’, from French plier ‘to bend’, from Latin plicare ‘to fold’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.