The sidewall of each segment of the body of an arthropod.
- ‘Using a small curved forceps, separate the tissue down to the pleura.’
- ‘There is a long, serrated rostrum and the abdomen bears pointed terminations on the pleura.’
- ‘A broad, transverse, ventral ridge underlies the anterior part of the axial ring, and also the inner portion of the pleura.’
- ‘You can directly visualize the lung and the pleura along the chest wall.’
- ‘Species identification was based on the morphologies of the rostrum and the 5th pleura.’
Early 18th century: from Greek, literally side of the body, rib.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.