One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A forked swimming limb of a crustacean, five pairs of which are typically attached to the abdomen.Also called swimmeret
- ‘Sex determination was based on the morphology of the first pleopod and brood pouch if present.’
- ‘Occasional specimens show preservation of delicate structures such as pleopods and antennae/antennules.’
- ‘In contrast, arthropods such as the lobster possess distinct maxillipeds, pereopods, pleopods, and uropod.’
- ‘The eggs can be kept in open brood pouches or attached to the pleopods of the female, as in pleocyematan decapods, or freely released in the environment, as in penaeid shrimps.’
- ‘Often, a biologist need only examine the pleopods to make a family-level designation, thus making the dorsal carapace features superfluous in the diagnosis.’
Mid 19th century: from Greek plein ‘swim, sail’ + pous, pod- ‘foot’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.