Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
attributive Denoting or in the manner of a 19th-century style of painting outdoors, or with a strong sense of the open air, that became a central feature of French impressionism.
open air, out-of-doors, outside, exterior, externalView synonyms
- ‘Even as the animated brushwork makes them teeter on the edge of abstraction, these works have the natural light of 19 th-century plein-air paintings.’
- ‘In Finch's hands, what could have been a simple plein-air painting of the sky morphs into a cerebral yet poetically lively hybrid.’
- ‘They were especially attracted to plein-air painting, and their hero was the French realist Bastien Lepage.’
- ‘Working out-of-doors, Reed makes plein-air paintings that are romantic yet surprisingly free of nostalgia.’
- ‘The connection was not immediate, however; plein-air painting had flourished for almost a century before it discovered the garden as a compelling subject.’
- ‘Among the 34 plein-air oil paintings of the Vermont woods in Martha Armstrong's show at Walter Wickiser was a small canvas of a red maple tree ablaze in autumnal light.’
- ‘Yet his early plein-air sketches and impressionist paintings are known almost exclusively to his Antipodean admirers.’
- ‘Even before Parisian painters took it up, Provencal landscape artists had practiced plein-air painting.’
- ‘He studied at the Slade School, 1875-80, then in Italy and Paris, where he was strongly influenced by contemporary French plein-air painting.’
- ‘But by the same token, plein-air painting, arrived at with the help of Delacroix's teachings, also represented the transcendence of these teachings, their cancellation.’
From French en plein air ‘in the open air’.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.