One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small portable enclosure in which a baby or small child can play safely.
- ‘Mesh netting of playpens should always be in the upright position.’
- ‘He rushed over to the playpen, lifted up the baby, quieted her, carried her back to the table, and sat down again facing me, the baby in his lap.’
- ‘Baby Anne watched him from the playpen in the corner.’
- ‘Over the years, playpens, portable cribs and play yards have evolved into virtually identical products.’
- ‘She put the baby in her playpen and turned around which is when I realized she'd seen me.’
- ‘Kids rush to the playpens, men peep into the garment stores and women spend hours at outlets that offer the latest in apparel, footwear and cosmetics.’
- ‘Verity, in her high heels and straight skirt, tripped over the blocks Ben had thrown out of his playpen.’
- ‘The baby's playpen is in one corner of the room, the family entertainment center in another.’
- ‘All of us are mothers, and when we started class about two years ago, some of our kids were so young we'd bring playpens and line them up against the wall while we worked out.’
- ‘The battle for control of Ireland's playpens and games rooms is being won by independent retailers.’
- ‘Babies take their first major strides with their eyes, not their legs, as they rapidly distinguish among playpens, pacifiers, and a plethora of other objects.’
- ‘Looking around her minimalist apartment she tried to imagine what it would be like living with children, tried to visualise playpens, teddies, and discarded Duplo.’
- ‘Keep highchairs, chairs, and playpens away from stoves and counters.’
- ‘In a dark room lit only by candlelight and packed with infants in playpens, Celine lay on the bottom bunk of a bed.’
- ‘For toddlers you may want to bring a playpen to keep baby safe.’
- ‘Notably, this included the installation of stair gates at the top and bottom of the stairs, and assembling a playpen for the living room.’
- ‘And, there's a separate section with a colourful playpen for families with children.’
- ‘Equipped with light sensors, the robot receives input about its location in the playpen from infrared signals lining the borders.’
- ‘They warn that children should not be confined to playpens, strollers or infant seats for hours at a time as it may delay physical and cognitive development and hinder physical activity participation in later life.’
- ‘On May 6, 2002, the nation's premier product regulatory agency announced at a juvenile product manufacturing show that it is only safe for infants to sleep in approved cribs or playpens.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.