One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A player in a team game who leads attacks or brings other players on the same side into a position from which they could score.
- ‘Because the team lacks playmakers, Ware's role on offense might be expanded.’
- ‘They have a hot quarterback, a solid running game, a vastly improved defense and playmakers on special teams.’
- ‘The priority is to add speedy playmakers who fit the team's new attacking style.’
- ‘This is a player that is a playmaker and will come through in clutch and critical situations.’
- ‘His ability to stop the opponents' creative play is much needed in a team brimming with playmakers.’
- ‘At 33, the Norwegian star remains one of the top playmakers in the game.’
- ‘Owens says he is putting too much pressure on himself to be a playmaker for a team in desperate need of one.’
- ‘The offense lacks playmakers and experience at quarterback, so don't expect it to improve.’
- ‘He's one of the better playmakers in the game, and I don't worry about it at all.’
- ‘On offense, the team lacks playmakers, and the approach has been too conservative.’
- ‘He's a marginal blocker, but the team needs playmakers, and he has a chance to be one.’
- ‘She will turn 32 this summer, but remains one of the game's most skillful playmakers.’
- ‘The team lacks playmakers in the secondary who can stop late-game surges.’
- ‘It's very rare for a defender to gain accolades or praise when compared to the goal-getters or midfield playmakers.’
- ‘But that's a trade the team needs to make because the defense has few other playmakers.’
- ‘He has been an active playmaker and leads the team in tackles by a wide margin.’
- ‘The team needs playmakers and will look at quarterbacks, running backs and receivers.’
- ‘He has speed, quickness and strength, and he's one of the team's top defensive playmakers.’
- ‘That means the team with the most playmakers on offense will come up with the big plays that decide the game in the fourth quarter.’
- ‘The team is looking for playmakers who will propel it into the playoffs again and for years to come.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.