One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A player in a team game who leads attacks or brings other players on the same side into a position from which they could score.
- ‘The priority is to add speedy playmakers who fit the team's new attacking style.’
- ‘It's very rare for a defender to gain accolades or praise when compared to the goal-getters or midfield playmakers.’
- ‘The team lacks playmakers in the secondary who can stop late-game surges.’
- ‘The team needs playmakers and will look at quarterbacks, running backs and receivers.’
- ‘That means the team with the most playmakers on offense will come up with the big plays that decide the game in the fourth quarter.’
- ‘His ability to stop the opponents' creative play is much needed in a team brimming with playmakers.’
- ‘But that's a trade the team needs to make because the defense has few other playmakers.’
- ‘He has been an active playmaker and leads the team in tackles by a wide margin.’
- ‘This is a player that is a playmaker and will come through in clutch and critical situations.’
- ‘Because the team lacks playmakers, Ware's role on offense might be expanded.’
- ‘The team is looking for playmakers who will propel it into the playoffs again and for years to come.’
- ‘Owens says he is putting too much pressure on himself to be a playmaker for a team in desperate need of one.’
- ‘He's a marginal blocker, but the team needs playmakers, and he has a chance to be one.’
- ‘He has speed, quickness and strength, and he's one of the team's top defensive playmakers.’
- ‘They have a hot quarterback, a solid running game, a vastly improved defense and playmakers on special teams.’
- ‘The offense lacks playmakers and experience at quarterback, so don't expect it to improve.’
- ‘At 33, the Norwegian star remains one of the top playmakers in the game.’
- ‘She will turn 32 this summer, but remains one of the game's most skillful playmakers.’
- ‘He's one of the better playmakers in the game, and I don't worry about it at all.’
- ‘On offense, the team lacks playmakers, and the approach has been too conservative.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.