One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Each of a set of rectangular pieces of cardboard or other material with an identical pattern on one side and different numbers and symbols on the other, used to play various games, some involving gambling. A standard deck contains 52 cards divided into four suits.
- ‘It is also possible for the playing cards to be physically sorted and placed in the boards by a machine controlled by the computer.’
- ‘Next up I had to get a new deck of playing cards and attach my picture to the Queen of Hearts.’
- ‘Well, imagine laying standard playing cards end to end from New York to San Francisco.’
- ‘The deck for this game can be created from three standard decks of playing cards.’
- ‘Well a group of enterprising Irish card manufacturers have since issued their own playing cards.’
- ‘The deck we use has two Jokers, two Sample Cards and 52 standard playing cards.’
- ‘As thanks for his help Henare Piripi was given a clean white shirt, six boxes of matches and a new pack of playing cards.’
- ‘One can order playing cards from casinos, poker chips, and even complete poker tables.’
- ‘The prints themselves could resemble the decorative side of enlarged playing cards.’
- ‘Novelty playing cards showing Canvey's artistic welcome sign have been printed to raise cash to help regeneration work.’
- ‘We asked them to memorise a string of playing cards pulled randomly from a shuffled pack.’
- ‘Authentic card sound effects beautifully recreate the real sounds of playing card games.’
- ‘This edition features a round board instead of the usual square and a plastic card dispenser that resembles a playing card shuffler.’
- ‘An ordinary pack of playing cards, which can be found in almost every household, is used, omitting the Joker.’
- ‘It is as small as a credit card and half the size of a deck of playing cards.’
- ‘A sum of Rs 400 and a deck of playing cards were seized from their possession.’
- ‘It is played with a standard deck of 52 playing cards, plus two jokers.’
- ‘All previous decks had shown pips like a normal pack of playing cards.’
- ‘A standard card deck is used, with two Jokers; hence all 54 playing cards are needed.’
- ‘Glue this playing card over the large playing card and allow the glue to dry well.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.